- Course type
- Paid course
- All Levels
- 25 hours
- 120 lessons
- Available on completion
- Course author
- Geoffrey Hubona, Ph.D.
- Acquire the skills needed to successfully develop general-purpose programming applications in the R environment
- Possess an in-depth understanding of the R programming environment and of the requirements for, and programming implications of, writing code using basic R objects: vectors, matrices, dataframes and lists.
- Understand the object-oriented characteristics of programming in R and know how to create S3 and S4 Class objects and functions that process these S3 and S4 objects.
- Know how to program mathematical functions, models and simulations in R.
- Know how to write R programs that effectively use and manipulate text and string variable objects.
- Know how to use the scan(), readline(), cat(), print() and readLines() functions in R for efficient data input and output and for effective user-prompting.
- Know how to 'tweak' R programs for maximum performance efficiency.
The Comprehensive Programming in R Course is actually a combination of two R programming courses that together comprise a gentle, yet thorough introduction to the practice of general-purpose application development in the R environment. The original first course (Sections 1-8) consists of approximately 12 hours of video content and provides extensive example-based instruction on details for programming R data structures. The original second course (Sections 9-14), an additional 12 hours of video content, provides a comprehensive overview on the most important conceptual topics for writing efficient programs to execute in the unique R environment. Participants in this comprehensive course may already be skilled programmers (in other languages) or they may be complete novices to R programming or to programming in general, but their common objective is to write R applications for diverse domains and purposes. No statistical knowledge is necessary. These two courses, combined into one course here on Udemy, together comprise a thorough introduction to using the R environment and language for general-purpose application development.
The Comprehensive Programming in R Course (Sections 1-8) presents an detailed, in-depth overview of the R programming environment and of the nature and programming implications of basic R objects in the form of vectors, matrices, dataframes and lists. The Comprehensive Programming in R Course (Sections 9-14) then applies this understanding of these basic R object structures to instruct with respect to programming the structures; performing mathematical modeling and simulations; the specifics of object-oriented programming in R; input and output; string manipulation; and performance enhancement for computation speed and to optimize computer memory resources.